2/18/18 UPDATE: NEW VIDEO UPLOADED SO YOU CAN NOW FOLLOW ALONG!!!!
Ok ladies and gents. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good stretch. I’m not going to bombard you with all of the benefits because really, it’s like flossing your teeth. You might not do it every day but you know deep down ya should… And it feels so good when you do!
So let’s get right to it. Most of the time I do some variation of this stretch which features moves I’ve learned through the years from dance and yoga and just life.
Here is the written description as well from my original post in case you are like me and you likes to readz.
- Sit on the floor and butterfly your legs as shown below. Maintain a flat back and fold your torso over your legs.
- Spread your legs out into a straddle and fold your torso down in front of you while maintaining a flat back. Throughout this whole process, don’t forget to breathe!
- Reach your right arm overhead toward your left leg, turning your torso in for a deeper stretch. Slowly walk your hands from the left leg towards the right one. Repeat on the other side.
- Shake your legs out and bring them in towards each other. Point and flex your feet in all directions. Bring your chest toward your legs while maintaining alignment of the spine. If you can reach your toes, give them a little massage and point and flex them too.
- Upon rising back into a seat, support your right leg under the knee and roll ankle around. Repeat on the left side.
- Come onto your knees. Place your left hand on your left foot and arch your hips up toward the sky while sweeping your right arm toward the back of the room. Repeat on the other side. Bring your right leg straight in front of you and fold your torso over your legs.
- Shift your weight into the front right leg and bend into it for a runner’s stretch, making sure your knee does not pass your toes. If you are able, you can now slide into the splits. Let’s call that level 2. Level 1 is the same, except supporting your weight on your arms. Level 3 is the same, except you lift your arms to the sky! There are various levels here and the only way to build flexibility is to work it. Repeat on the other side.
- Find a comfortable seat. Bring your right arm across your chest and roll wrists as you hold the stretch for a few breaths. Repeat on the other side.
- Bring your right arm overhead for a tricep stretch. Repeat on the other side.
- Hold your right hand out in front of you and press your palm back toward your face. Now press it away from your face. Repeat on the other side.
- Take your right arm behind your back and use your left to tilt your head toward your left shoulder. Lightly turn your gaze toward the ground. Repeat on the other side.
- Get to your feet in a forward fold position and ragdoll your torso for a few breaths to loosen the muscles. Place your hands on your hips and slowly rise, vertebrae by vertebrae.
- With your feet planted hip-width distance apart, reach your right arm over your head toward the left side of the room. Then rotate your torso toward the ground and allow your arm to sweep you in a circle until you are upright again. Repeat on the other side.
- Smile! You did it!
Last minute pointers…
- Maintain a straight back when you are in any sort of forward-fold.
- Keep breathing throughout each posture. Use the inhale to back off slightly and the exhale to deepen the stretch.
- Take these poses at your own pace! Through the magic of the webs you can always pause and rewind. 🙂
One Comment Add yours